It’s been while since I’ve done an SSS post. This page made my smile, so I had to post it. Hope you enjoy, and make sure you click on the photo for the website.
Borrowed from this blog.
- Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the center.
- He was as tall as a 6′3″ tree.
- Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
- From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you’re on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.
- John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.
- She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.
- The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.
- He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real…
View original post 1,127 more words
Today I want to take a look at some common similes. These are similes that we probably use on a daily basis and don’t even think about the fact that they are similes because they have become so cliche. However, cliche can actually be fun sometimes!
Cliche Simile #1: Cute as a kitten. This simile always strikes me as funny because there are some people in the world who don’t find kittens cute at all. Take a look this Oatmeal comic. There are some definite concerns there about the stability of the feline mind.
Cliche Simile #2: Happy as a clam. At what point did anyone ever determine the happiness of a clam? Is that even possible?
Cliche Simile #3: Snug as a bug in a rug. This one is just silly (or asinine if you looked at the latest WWW post). No bug is going to be snug in any rug. They’re just going to crawl right around the carpet fibers and get out. Duh!
Cliche Simile #4: Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. If you think this simile is true, then you keep buying the boxes of chocolate that don’t have the labels on the bottom or on the sheet that covers the chocolates. Stop buying the unlabeled boxes! No one wants to be surprised by the cream-filled. They all want to go straight for the caramel!
Are there any similes that you have that are just plain ridiculous? Please share them in the comments.
Although I don’t really use similes as much as metaphors in my writing, I think coming up with them is kind of fun. So here is yet another blog post dedicated to writing something specific on a specific day. We already have WWW: Wondrous Word Wednesday. Today will become Superfluous Simile Saturday. Here are some similes my debate students and judges jokingly came up with today.
Jamie: I am as tired as a teen in church.
Duncan claims he is as hungry as a hippo. (lol. Clever! A simile and a pun!)
Trevor is happy as Teddy with a lint roller.
Hmmm. Not the best examples I’ve heard. I think my kids are trying too hard! Let’s see what you come up with. Post your favorite similes in the comments or make sure that you add them to your own writing. Have fun!